SALEM, New Jersey — A man has been charged with sexually assaulting a girl over an eight-year period, beginning when the girl was just age 4, according to court records.
Jason Hinton, 41, allegedly committed the assaults from 2008 through 2016 at different addresses in Pennsville, Penns Grove and Carneys Point, according to the complaints signed against Hinton.
Hinton, 41, was arrested on Friday.
At the time of his arrest, Hinton was already serving parole supervision for life for an Aug. 21, 2014 conviction of endangering the welfare of a child, court records say.
In this latest arrest, he is charged with four counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child under age 13; four counts of aggravated criminal sexual contact; one count of aggravated sexual assault of a child under 16 but more than 13 years old; three counts of impairing or debauching the morals of a child and one count of causing a child harm making them an abused or neglected child, according to court records.
Hinton appeared Wednesday before Superior Court Judge Benjamin C. Telsey in Salem for a probable cause and detention hearings.
According to Salem County Assistant Prosecutor Jonathan Flynn, the girl told a school worker of the alleged attacks which led to police being called. A police statement read at the hearing also said she wrote about the alleged attacks in a journal.
But Hinton’s defense attorney Joseph Neal maintained there were problems with the claims. He said the same girl, now 15, had been interviewed some years earlier and asked if Hinton had ever sexually assaulted her and she had said he hadn’t.
Neal claimed Hinton never had the access needed to assault the girl, saying some of the dates in the complaints against Hinton were wrong.
Flynn, however, said that was not the case, that Hinton did have the opportunity to commit the alleged assaults.
Telsey ruled that the prosecution was successful in establishing probable cause that he committed the alleged offenses so the case could continue.
He said that it is not uncommon for child victims of sexual assault to often “delay disclosure.”
During parts of the hearing Hinton looked down as he sat at the defense table. When some of the details of the charges against him were read he appeared to shake his head “no.”
It was also disclosed in court that Hinton is currently serving parole supervision for life for an Aug. 21, 2014 conviction of endangering the welfare of a child, the courts firmed.
After his review, under the guidelines of the new state’s new Bail Reform and Speedy Trial Act, Telsey ruled that Hinton could be released — but under strict conditions.
The judge noted, among his long list of considerations, Hinton’s past history with the courts, employment, longtime ties to the community and the fact he has followed parole conditions over the past three years.
Conditions of Hinton’s release include Level 3 — the highest level — of monitoring through the Pre-Trail Services Unit, no contact with the victim, that he appear on all future court dates, not be to engaged in any new criminal activity and not possess a weapon or excessively use alcohol or narcotics.
If found guilty on the charges Hinton could face a sentence of 25 years to life in prison.
His next court hearing is Sept. 6.
Released for free (on tax payers dollars) without any accountability or supervision thanks to NJ Bail Reform.
Accused defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty
PLEASE FOLLOW US FOR UPDATE ON NJ BAIL REFORM NEWS!
STOP RELEASING ACCUSED DEFENDANTS WITHOUT ANY ACCOUNTABILITY OR SUPERVISION!